- SAFE (Smart, Authenticated Fast Exams) is a system to conduct app-based exams/quizzes. It can also be used for marking attendance.
- In the following text, we use the term “student” to mean the person who is answering the quiz/exam or marking attendance.
- We use the term “instructor” to mean the authority who is conducting the quiz/exam, or asking the students to mark attendance.
What information we collect or store and when?
- When an instructor signs up for an instructor account, we ask the instructor for the following information: Email address, Name, Phone number, Institute, Department.
- When a student signs up for a student account, we collect the following information: Email address, Name, Roll number (at the institution corresponding to the instructor).
- When an instructor creates a course: the SAFE server stores information about the course code and name.
- When an instructor creates a quiz/exam: the SAFE server stores the questions and answer key.
- When a student uses the SAFE app to mark attendance or to answer a quiz/exam: IMEI, MAC address, IP address, WiFi AP scan list, selfie, GPS location (in some cases).
- When a student uses the SAFE app to answer a quiz/exam: we track if the student receives any phone call, and whether the student accepts the phone call. We do not access the caller-ID however.
- When a student answers a quiz/exam: the SAFE app client and subsequently the server stores the given answers, and computes the obtained marks.
How we use the above information?
- The above information is used only for the purpose of exam/course management by the instructor of the course(s) in which the student is enrolled. For instance:
- To summarize a student’s attendance in each class session.
- To summarize whether a student used the SAFE app to answer a quiz/exam from the designated location.
- To summarize a student’s quiz/exam performance in a course.
- We do not share any of this information with any third party.
- The contact information (email/phone) is used to notify users of important changes/updates to the SAFE system.